Wednesday, September 29, 2010

PLN #2 What makes good people do bad things.

In Kaye Gibbons's "Ellen Foster" the main character Ellen, gets abused by her father. This really makes me think about our guiding question, what makes people do bad things? I think about this because Ellen's dad obviously cares somewhat about his daughter because she has a home, and at least a little food to eat. What really shakes me is that even though he is a good person, he still wants to hurt his daughter. Going back to the guiding question, I believe good people do bad things because they are either upset with themselves or they are addicted to whatever the situation is and they can't control it.
I relate this back to my book because Ellen's dad is addicted to alcohol and therefore he acts out violently towards his daughter. I do not think that the dad would be so violent if he didn't have a drinking problem. Taking, that whenever he abuses Ellen he is drunk.
He may be this way because of a childhood situation he had with his father. Maybe his dad abused him and now he is taking his life anger out on his daughter.
I think everyone in this world is a good person, unless they kill another human.
Overall, I don't think Ellen's father can control what goes on behind the walls of their house because he has an addiction and it is affecting everyone around him.

No comments:

Post a Comment